The Houston & District Chamber of Commerce has activated a resource page to help all businesses prepare and overcome COVID-19. We encourage our Members, network and community to support local businesses impacted by challenges caused by the virus by looking at doing business within our community
Below is a list of resources and information that will be updated daily.
- Frequent hand washing and covering your face when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you are sick (and create a culture where this is encouraged in your workplace)
- Leverage technology and consider remove work for your team where possible.
- Social distancing
- BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool and Support App
- BC COVID-19 Action Plan – Government of British Columbia
- BCEDA #COVID19 Resources for BC Businesses Guide – British Columbia Economic Development Association
- BCEDA #COVID-19 Daily Bulletins – British Columbia Economic Development Association
- COVID-19 Relief for Residents and Small Business – BC Hydro NEW
- BC Chamber ‘Cheat Sheet’ for Businesses Affected by COVID-19 – BC Chamber of Commerce
- Guide for Small Businesses – PreparedBC
- Emergency Plan for Small Businesses – PreparedBC
- The Recovery and Resilience Roadmap: A Toolkit for Economic Preparedness – British Columbia Economic Development Association
- Planning of CORONAVIRUS – British Columbia Economic Development
- Workplace and Employer Resource Suggestions – British Columbia Economic Development Association
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update – Destination British Columbia
- Business Continuity & COVID-19 Checklist: Key Considerations for Small Businesses in BC – Small Business BC
- COVID-19 Information and Updates – Regional District of Bulkley Nechako NEW
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan – Government of Canada
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit– Government of Canada
- COVID-19 and business insurance: How coverage is triggered – Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce – Support for Business
- Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan COVID-19 Update and FAQs – Johnston Group
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Resources for Canadian Businesses – Government of Canada
- Pandemic Preparedness for Business – Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Coronavirus and Small Business: Keeping You and Your Employees Safe – Canadian Federation of Independent Business
- Useful Advice to Help Entrepreneurs Plan and Respond to the Impacts of Coronavirus – BDC
- Business Resource Hub: Managing Through and Building Resilience During the COVID-19 Outbreak – Facebook for Business
- Business Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Business Continuity Plan and Templates for Entrepreneurs – BDC
MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
- Canadian Mental Health Association Tips & Tools – CMHA
- Headspace App Mental Health Resources – Headspace
- Managig COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety & Depression – Province of BC
- Video: Mental health and COVID-19 – Conference Board of Canada
- Office of the British Columbia Provincial Health Officer – for provincial statements and resources
- HealthLink BC – non-emergency health information and advie in BC
- BC Centre for Disease Control – health promotion and prevention services
- Health Canada – for Canada specific travel advice, preparedness and Canada’s response
- Northern Health Authority- For information relevant to Houston and Northern BC
- World Health Organization – for FAQs, global travel advice and situation reports
UPDATED HELPFUL ARTICLES AND LINKS
- Guidance to reatil food and grocery stores operations during COVID-19 – March 29, 2020
- COVID-19 Food and Beverage Sector Fact Sheet – March 27, 2020
- Support for renters and landlords – March 25, 2020
- British Columbians can now extend expiring driver’s licence over the phone – March 25, 2020
- Federal Package For Business & Provincial Update from BC Chamber of Commerce – March 18, 2020
- Prime Minister Announces More Support for Workers and Businesses Through Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan – March 18, 2020
- Government Extends Tax Deadline to June 1 Admidst COVID-19 Outbreak – March 17, 2020
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Prevention and Risks – March 13, 2020
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates: Canada – March 13, 2020
- How to Manage COVID-19 in the Workplace – March 12, 2020
Employment and Social Development Canada: Several measures are available to assist employees who have been laid off or are unable to work due to quarantine. This includes waiving the one week waiting period for EI sickness benefits and priority application processing for related claims.
Work-Sharing Program: Work-Sharing is a federal government adjustment program designed to help employers and employees avoid layoffs when there is a temporary reduction in the normal level of business activity that is beyond the control of the employer. Temporary special measures have extended the maximum duration of work-sharing agreements from 38 weeks to 76 weeks for businesses affected by COVID-19.
CMHC is working to address mortgage payment difficulties.
BC Hydro: The COVID-19 Customer Assistance Program provides customers the option to defer bill payments or arrange for flexible payment plans with no penalty. Customers are encouraged to call BC Hydro’s customer team at 1-800-224-9376 to discuss options.
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) has resources available include:
- Small Business Loan – Up to $100,000 can be obtained online.
- Working Capital Loan – Get extra funds to bridge cash flow gaps and support everyday operations.
- Purchase Order Financing – Increase your cash flow to fulfill domestic or international orders with very flexible terms.
- BDC’s Advisory Services experts are offering tools and support to review your financial management and operations.